Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

What will happen to the season..

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

What will happen to the season..

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Just be delayed and resumed at a later point - might be a while?

Stop season at is - will means we stay up but could lead to all sorts of legal action.

Void the season - again might mean all sorts of disputes and counter arguments. Just imagine what Liverpool fans would say!
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: What will happen to the season..

Postby Fiz » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:49 pm

Unless they actually do finish all the games, which looks unlikely, it’s going to be legal minefield.

There was a Radio5 phone in and some were saying stop with the positions as they are now. Another said give Liverpool the title and then have the bottom teams from the Prem play the top teams from the Champ in some sort of play-offs. Another suggestion was to have a panel predict the remaining results. Or use the corresponding fixture from the first half of the season and duplicate, which was just ridiculous!
Technocat - It's Gonna Be Alright (Spanish Guitar Mix)
Fiz
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:08 pm

Good question.
Personally I wonder if the virus has been approached from the wrong angle.? We can't really avoid it without closing down our lives and supposedly it won't kill us all like a plague.?
We should have had a massive safeguarding programme for over 70s plus anyone who is vulnerable, and concentrate on isolating them and supporting them. The rest of us will survive it.
Anyway the concerns won't go away until the hotter weather arrives and by then we won't be able to finish the season. Call it finished as is, Liverpool win the League, and no relegations. Two teams up from championship and sort out relegations next season....?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Fiz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:27 am

dorsetway wrote:Good question.
Call it finished as is, Liverpool win the League, and no relegations. Two teams up from championship and sort out relegations next season....?

That seems to be the best option.
Technocat - It's Gonna Be Alright (Spanish Guitar Mix)
Fiz
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pm

I will be very interested to see GPS approach the the squad next season if we do stay up.
Hopefully NP will give him a short shopping list but I wouldn't put it past GP to believe this season was all in our imaginations, the squad is fine and it was all Gracias and Flores fault...
NP must stay for next season..!
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:59 pm

Well both Pearson and Foster are out of contract in June so what happen if the season it delayed and runs till beyond then?

I guess they will have to give Liverpool the title and maybe compensate teams who don't get promoted.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:21 pm

You have to hope that the club will be working on the contract extensions right now considering the break.?
NP won't walk away before the job is completed, and even then we will surely sign him up for longer. Foster should hopefully stay on, not sure about Janmaat....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby PizzaNBeer » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:52 pm

The two best "no finish" options that I've heard are (in no particular order):

1) No relegation from the Premier League. Expand the league by two places for next year - promote the top 2 from the Championship. Take the relegation bonuses that would have been given out and spread them across the teams that would have been in the playoffs and the lower leagues to help them survive.
2) Combine this season and next into one season. Keep the points that you have already - keep playing whenever the league resumes.

Assuming some games resume prior to the end of June, work the schedule so that whatever the cutoff is (presumably 30 June) everyone has the same number of games. Whatever the table is then, is what it is. Lower league playoffs are much harder. Perhaps single elimination neutral site, or no playoffs at all, just take the top 3.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 pm

If this is a reflection of the general view then the league seem keen to get the games back underway ASAP.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51990101

I just cannot see it unless they know it will be safe which might be a while .
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

The way things are going there will be no football possible until August at the earliest, things will improve but the government won't give the green flag until they are 100% sure its all over.
We need to scrap all sports programmes until September to save lots of wasted time giving hopeful target dates for things...
Give it all up and look to restart next season around the usual time.
Cancel this season but just get a vote from all Prem clubs to award the Prem title to Liverpool on merit, I am sure that would be approved....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:38 pm

dorsetway wrote:The way things are going there will be no football possible until August at the earliest, things will improve but the government won't give the green flag until they are 100% sure its all over.
We need to scrap all sports programmes until September to save lots of wasted time giving hopeful target dates for things...
Give it all up and look to restart next season around the usual time.
Cancel this season but just get a vote from all Prem clubs to award the Prem title to Liverpool on merit, I am sure that would be approved....

Promotion/relegation and the Champions League and Europa spots are more of a challenge than the champion.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 pm

dorsetway wrote:Cancel this season but just get a vote from all Prem clubs to award the Prem title to Liverpool on merit, I am sure that would be approved....

Imagine the legal position Leeds and West Brom would put the Premier League in if that happened. I've heard it would cost the PL millions.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Inayellowshirt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am

BeersThen wrote:
dorsetway wrote:Cancel this season but just get a vote from all Prem clubs to award the Prem title to Liverpool on merit, I am sure that would be approved....

Imagine the legal position Leeds and West Brom would put the Premier League in if that happened. I've heard it would cost the PL millions.

Give them parachute payments
Inayellowshirt
Part-Time Caretaker

Postby WFC4ever » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:42 am

I presume clubs like ours will be ok over this break as most of our revenue goes towards player wages ..
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Trouble is, every idea will have another bunch of teams complaining, parachute payments might do but where do they draw the line.?
PL is prob determined to finish the season to stave off a huge number of issues.
I'm no legal expert but surely if we get to mid July surely there are Force Majore issues that simply mean the season is just cancelled fullstop and we all just have to accept these are highly unusual times, move on to next season..?
This whole thing will get much worse if companies around the world all start suing each other for breach of contract etc....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:13 pm

Clubs are now worried about next season in terms of lack of season ticket sales and revenue from TV etc.

Maybe an indication they want this season to be scrapped..

But who knows when next season would start!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Today's paper hinting that football will change a lot now, reduced money everywhere, teams struggling to get through, etc etc...
Still think they will "curtail" this season and spend the next 3 months sorting everything out from top to bottom.? (global subscribers and companies wanting refunds and not willing to pay so high in the future, sponsorship down, and then we will see how many greedy footballers still insist on their £40-200k weekly salary) .... Its going to be very interesting...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:48 pm

UEFA have set a end of June deadline it seems.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52079717

Or Premier league to start in July ?

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... st-updates
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:01 pm

I reckon the season needs to be completed by mid July really, giving players a couple weeks off after we finish, ready for a couple of weeks pre-season ready to restart next season second mid August.
If they can restart games around 1st June they might just cram all o/s games in, but prob not for the EFL. Maybe they should carefully plan for all teams to have say 4 matches (2 home, 2 away) to be played behind closed doors in the last weeks of May if possible, and go from there.?

I guess all of this will depend on whether the UK comes out of lock down in the next 6 weeks.... The decisions will probably made for us if things don't improve enough...?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:34 pm

Sounds like it might be 6 months on and off of lockdown.

Guess it's so fluid day a day day nothing is certain.

And then you are into winter!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby PizzaNBeer » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:56 pm

I think the EPL will try it's hardest to come back in June to at least play enough games to get everyone to the same amount, then declare an end. The matches will likely be behind closed doors.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:13 am

They seem pretty keen to get the games played!

Won't be any football if the self isolation/social distancing rules are still in place though.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.inde ... html%3famp
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:25 pm

I wonder what the players will think and to what extent they will have a say.?
Can't imagine them being happy locked away from their families, and what happens when one player suddenly gets the virus, would the whole team stop playing.? I just can't see it....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 am

Pure greed of the Premiership really coming to the fore now, with non-playing staff applying for government support whilst the players wages are protected.

My wife is a nurse risking her life every day.

If WFC head down this route I'll never spend a penny with them ever again.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Watford FC