Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Liverpool

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Liverpool

Postby pog88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:01 pm

I see Coutinho has a rather predictable back strain that's ruling him out.

A few days ago I was dreading it, but now I'm hopeful we can at least have a go at them. I would imagine Gray goes straight in, not sure about Richarlison.

Hoping for 1-1, set us up nicely for Muff and Brighton
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Liverpool

Postby WFC4ever » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Well we got hammered by them and lost to a wonder goal.

I expect something in the middle but a point would be excellent.

Like you I wondered where the goals might come from but bit more hopeful now.

Is our defence strong enough?
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 pm

Defence comes down to how well Silva has organised them. I don't think our defence is as bad as last season suggests, we just need to stop the silly mistakes and fragility at set pieces.
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Turnipician » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 am

pog88 wrote:I see Coutinho has a rather predictable back strain that's ruling him out.

A few days ago I was dreading it, but now I'm hopeful we can at least have a go at them. I would imagine Gray goes straight in, not sure about Richarlison.

Hoping for 1-1, set us up nicely for Muff and Brighton

I actually reckon Richarlson will more likely start if he's been training with us for a couple of weeks.

Gomes
Janmaat prodl Kabul holebas

Chalobah dacoure
cleverley

Richarlson okaka pereyra
Ed Balls
Turnipician
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Porky Pig » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 am

Hey remember the Last time we played Liverpool first game of the season under GT. Sneaky little 0-1 win !
Porky Pig

Postby pog88 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:42 pm

Merson's predicted we'll get hammered, apparently without Troy we've got no hope of doing anything
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm

The pundits look at the big clubs only. After that, they essentially just ask "where will the goals come from"?

That said, I have NO IDEA what we'll see tomorrow. Silva is instituting a new scheme and a lot a new players. Most importantly, he's trying to inject a new mindset. This team last year didn't really play as a team over the last half. Walt had alienated several players and a bunch more had broken down. If we had scored a goal for every 3 carping sessions between Holebas-Capoue-Deeney, we'd have netted 2-3 more a game. I normally put NO STOCK in "need competition" statements. To me those are overused and lazy. In our case, I think there is some validity to it, especially if you substitute "Capable backup" for competition. Each player knowing that he has to give his best to keep his place, and each player having confidence in whoever the replacement is goes a long way. They spend more energy and take more risks.

We lost all of that last year. I think SIlva will get this right. I think getting it right is far more important than just adding a 9-10 goal striker. I have no idea if he'll have made enough progress by the weekend for us to play hard and play smart - as a team. If we do, we have at least a puncher's chance.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby dorsetway » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:22 pm

I reckon that Silva gave a few home truths to GP before signing, and made it clear that the squad he was inheriting was not up to it, too old, and too predictable. He is now building us a proper squad and now thinking back to last season we can see just how poor our squad was !
On the down side we might well take a few months for the team to gel but I feel much more excited now than at any time in the last 18 months !
Talking to a Liverpool supporting mate recently he was jibing me about the first game of the season. I winked and said that if I had a choice of when to play them it would be first game. Now it seems they will be without Clynne, Lallana and Continho, I definitely think it's a great chance to take it to them this time and give them a proper game !
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 am

pog88 wrote:Merson's predicted we'll get hammered, apparently without Troy we've got no hope of doing anything

Lawro has us for a draw!

Deeney our best player...

Not sure about that!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Porky Pig » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:07 am

I believe Silva in no mug. Last season he would have prepared Hull to play against us and would have been fully aware of our weaknesses. I also presume he would have trawled over hundreds of hours of tape and been filming training sessions. He will know exactly where we are at. Strength weaknesses etc. Top coaching in any sport is down to athlete mentality. I genuinely believe Liverpool will walk into a poop storm tomorrow. New Coach, Players, system plus the negative press comments (Merson and Co) can only help Silva. Liverpool are a good side. But time for Watford to front up and set the tone for the season. 2-0.
Porky Pig

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 am

Options on the bench - are Hughes and Cathcart injured?

Team looks slow tbh.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Turnipician » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 am

WFC4ever wrote:Options on the bench - are Hughes and Cathcart injured?

Team looks slow tbh.

Cathcart is. Not sure about Hughes. Surprised prodl is benched.

Gomes
Janmaat Kabul britos holebas
Chalobah dacoure cleverley

Amrabat okaka pereyra

Pants
Prodl
Femenia
Capoue
Watson
Richarlson
Grey
Ed Balls
Turnipician
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby pog88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Looking excellent so far.

Feel sorry for Janmaat but the bloke is a waste of time

Okaka playing out of his skin
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby mark_wfc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Good to start, changes slowed us down

Gomez had no need to come flying out for that pen.

Fair result.
Hoofcunter.KILTCUNTER.
copyright VIC.18.8.09. Beardycunter. Pozzocunter, Both copyright VIC 29/6/12.©
mark_wfc
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Very encouraging performance generally.

Ok had the usual injuries and couple of slack moments at the back which Liverpool took advantage off but thought we looked to attack with pace and the midfield pushed forward which was unheard of last season

Always good to get a late goal which think we deserved.

New players came on and put themselves about very willing to put in a shift.

Maybe Chelsea regret selling Chalobah already!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:28 pm

The hopelessly crap passing from Britos and Kaboul is a big issue, and I hope we plan to sort that out quickly.

Thought Nate and Doucoure were excellent. Doucoure was absolutely immense throughout, he's improved massively from his debut, and now looks an accomplished midfielder. Cleverley looked far more comfortable in a role with less defensive work. He kept things ticking over and showed decent skill at times.

the Bat and Okaka had their best games for a while. Richarlison looked exceptional, was particularly impressed with his work rate. Gray again looked very direct, and gave us the pace we so sorely laked.

Overall a good showing, just desperately need to get a top quality ball playing centre half in
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Deserved result. Not worried about Britos. He hadn't played much and is a fair passer. Kaboul and Prodl never will be. Worrying about Pereyra. Janmaat needs replacing - never healthy. Amrabat, who is clearly the fans' whipping boy this year does seem to have lost some pace since before his injury last year. We need something there. Perhaps Gray in that wide role - then see about a winger in the January window. All round encouraging though. Any with a big-time Charlie attitude will have seen that we played well and put 3 past a top 6 side without them. Can only help.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Apparently Redknapp and Carragher were not happy afterwards - on screen row?!

Clearly frustrated their team didn't win.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Pleasing to see a team with a bit of speed. Gray didn't do much when he came on, but just being there meant Liverpool were always wary of his pace.

Far cry from last season when our go-to attacking change was farkin Zuniga
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby dorsetway » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 am

A great start to the season, I had a feeling we might get something today. We would have gone on to lose that game 2-4 last season so things are improving. I was extatic at half time, dejected after 52 minutes, and then elated at full time.
What about Holebas ? Great for first half but terrible second half, never got back with his winger and seemed to have switched off completely ?
Is there any news on Pereyra ? Janmaat is a sick note, can't believe how often he goes off in the first half injured ! And why no Prodl ???
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:31 am

Was Hughes injured?

Maybe Prodl hasn't impressed in Pre-season? Don't think Flores thought much of him either actually - often preferring Britos.

Both injuries looked like muscle issues which questions what some players are doing to warm up?

Whereas the midfield for example are running around full of energy all game.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:26 am

PizzaNBeer wrote:Deserved result. Not worried about Britos. He hadn't played much and is a fair passer. Kaboul and Prodl never will be. Worrying about Pereyra. Janmaat needs replacing - never healthy. Amrabat, who is clearly the fans' whipping boy this year does seem to have lost some pace since before his injury last year. We need something there. Perhaps Gray in that wide role - then see about a winger in the January window. All round encouraging though. Any with a big-time Charlie attitude will have seen that we played well and put 3 past a top 6 side without them. Can only help.

Yes agree with all that but apart from a couple of loose crosses I though Amrabat played well and was a key part of our second goal. He will never be top drawer but I think he works really hard and sometimes just tries too hard ?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve

Return to Watford FC