Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Arsenal

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Arsenal

Postby pog88 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:29 am

Shows how far we've come, and how far they've fallen that I'd be disappointed to get beat tomorrow.

They are short of number defensively, and if Mertesacker plays then Gray has to start. I assume that Prodl is now fit, so I'd chuck him in alongside Kabasele.

Not sure about the midfield, Silva was saying that Carrillo is probably knackered after the international break, so perhaps he'll start Pereyra on the right?

2-1
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Arsenal

Postby Dodsy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 am

Prodl likely out due to a hamstring injury picked up on International duties
Dodsy
Forum Legend

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Dodsy wrote:Prodl likely out due to a hamstring injury picked up on International duties

That was in the September ones as well..

Arsenal are still going to be pretty strong in attack but if you get physical and attack them they don't like it.

1881 guys are aiming for some sort of record with a Pre-match banner spanning the whole of the Rookery.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Turnipician » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:09 pm

Gomes

Femenia
Mariappa
Kabasele
Holebas
Britos
Dacoure
Cleverley
Richarlson
Pereyra
Gray

Karnezis
Wague
Janmaat
Watson
Capoue
Carrillo
Deeney

Britos or kabasele in midfield or 3 at the back??
Ed Balls
Turnipician
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby pog88 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Matching them up with 3 at the back is a poor choice. We've stifled ourselves
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Turnipician » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 pm

pog88 wrote:Matching them up with 3 at the back is a poor choice. We've stifled ourselves

Yeah. We'll never win now.
Ed Balls
Turnipician
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Callys_Disco » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:33 pm

ee-i-ee-i-ee-i-o
Up the premier league we go :lol:
Callys_Disco
Star Poster

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 pm

No doubt Wenger and the media will point to the penalty incident as what changed the game but certainly in the second half we really took the game to Arsenal after a fairly even first during which we were just caught out with poor marking from the corner.

True Gomes saved us a couple of times but once we scored only looked like one team going to win and thankfully once again we came up trumps!

Very good tactical change for Silva once more bringing Deeney on.

Dominated midfield 2nd half and I'd say probably deserved to win in the end.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Turnipician wrote:
pog88 wrote:Matching them up with 3 at the back is a poor choice. We've stifled ourselves

Yeah. We'll never win now.

Took control of the game once we went to 4 at the back. Gave them too much respect 1st half
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby pog88 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 pm

Chuffed for Cleverley. He's not natural in a deep midfield role but he played excellently today, and really is proving a bargain.

I've not seen the replay but apparently Rich dived? No doubt the book will be thrown at him as he's an easy way for them to dish out the first punishment to.
However, as Troy points out, had it been up at the other end nothing would be said.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-hurts/watford ... 4220649301

3 at the back doesn't work for us, we struggled with it at Swansea, and until Mapps came off today. The wing backs just don't get involved enough.

Troy did well, that lanky farker was all pleased with his days work until he came on, and Troy gave him problems that Gray simply couldn't

Very impressed with us, and not surprised about the condescending crap already coming out in the media about us

Fark 'em
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am

Regarding the penalty - Danny Murphy made a good point.

Had that been the other way round Wenger and co would have demanding a penalty..

Was soft but the sort you see given a lot now as players are so good at conning a ref.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:07 am

Didn't notice it at the game, but why the fark was Cleverley picking up Mertesacker for the corner? Fair enough do zonal marking, but at least assign the right players
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby pog88 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... -decisive/

Had it been an Arsenal player this article wouldn't exist
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:09 pm

As I said above Arsenal would have demanded a penalty had it been the other way round.

If Richarlison was banned he'd miss Stoke at home which might not be a bad thing as they will try to rough him up like WBA did!

Anyway should this not be enforced all the time - not just when the ref gets it "wrong"?
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm

I actually think them banning Richarlison would be to our benefit. He's been playing football non stop since the Brazilian league since May, and and enforced 2 week break could be good for him.

Besides we're comfortable enough at the moment that we've got others that can come in
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Quite true and actually the teams at the top like Arsenal would probably be disappointed if one of our best players missed a game at one of their rivals for 3rd (the Manchester clubs will come 1-2)

Only issue is Ricky will be a marked man like FF was..
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 am

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footba ... lattenburg

There you go

Also probably highlights why VAR will be a bloody nightmare, as everyone has a different opinion even a day later
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Cenobite » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am

Its odd how much attention its getting. There was some contact and most forwards will go down in that situation. I'm not saying its right but its nothing out of the ordinary. The ban only applies when a dive is very clear cut with no contact I believe so I can't see anything coming of it.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

Cenobite wrote:Its odd how much attention its getting. There was some contact and most forwards will go down in that situation. I'm not saying its right but its nothing out of the ordinary. The ban only applies when a dive is very clear cut with no contact I believe so I can't see anything coming of it.

As we've all said, had this been Arsenal winning the exact same penalty, there would be fark all said about it. Wenger would be smiling, and he'd of no doubt not seen the incident yet.

Clattenburg is spot on in his analysis. You have two of the quickest players in the Premier league running side by side in a 15 yard sprint. The faster you go, the easier it is to get knocked off balance.

If they do ban him, we should get the lawyers involved, as nobody can look at the footage and conclusively say he dived
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby dorsetway » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:47 pm

Totally agree !
One minute they are going on about "divers" and the need to stop players going down with a "swan-dive" before they even get touched, and now suddenly the focus is on banning any player that a Ref awards a penalty to which later turns out to be 50/50. ?
Surely the panel will quickly decide that the penalty "is not 100% clear" under review, and so it will be thrown out ? Any other decision (I am sure they know) will cause ructions to our game not seen for many years !!
(Oh yes and what about the fact that Richarlison didn't even get time to appeal for the penalty, it was given immediately ?!)
Great result BTW !!!!!!!!!
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

They've confirmed no punishment.

Having just watched the highlights, Wenger might want to look at Iwobi's horrendous dive after Kabasele slid in and clearly got the ball. Rolled over 3 times to try and get a decision. Embarassing
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:51 pm

Because the ref was so quick and certain they were likely to back him I feel.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:00 pm

WFC4ever wrote:Because the ref was so quick and certain they were likely to back him I feel.

Nah, they knew there was no way to conclusively say he dived. Had they banned him they would have countless 'soft' penalties sent their way
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Dermomt Gallagher didn't think it was a dive so that is 2 refs who did and 3 that didn't..

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -gallagher

Just shows how inconclusive the incident was!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Return to Watford FC