Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Okaka

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Okaka

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Anyone know what has happened?

Just simply out of favour I guess but there has been no commnet on him at all.

I know Silva didn't think Hughes worked hard enough in training - does he think the same of Okaka?

Just seems strange that after a good game against Liverpool we have not seen anything of him.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Okaka

Postby Cenobite » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:57 pm

Odd isn't it. Not even a place on the bench. Can anyone really say that based on merit, Gray should be starting games with Deeney on the bench and Okaka heading for the transfer list?
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 am

Safe to say he'll be gone in January

I would suspect there must be something that's gone on behind the scenes, as he's not even featured in the u23's
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby DarthRob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Who would you take out of the match day squad for him? With Deeney on the bench it doesn't seem to make sense to have Okaka on there as well. I'm sure if Deeney was injured or suspended he'd be in there and coming off the bench every game.
DarthRob
Gloryhorns Academy

Postby Cenobite » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:46 pm

So you think Gray deserves to be ahead of Okaka in the pecking order? I suspect he wouldn't be if you took the price tag and the fact that the current manager asked to sign him out of the equation.

Okaka should be first choice for me.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:58 pm

Cenobite wrote:So you think Gray deserves to be ahead of Okaka in the pecking order? I suspect he wouldn't be if you took the price tag and the fact that the current manager asked to sign him out of the equation.

Okaka should be first choice for me.

True, Gray hasn't set the world alight, but the job he does for the side is an important one, even though you refuse to accept it.

Don't doubt Okaka is decent, but his fitness levels are appalling. Much rather Deeney and Gray alternate
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Cenobite » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Surely the main role of a striker is to score goals?

Gray can't hold the ball up, can't win a header and is pretty poor at passing. I'd love to see the fella find his feet but I really struggle to see how. Every commentator has been critical of his poor movement and positioning in pretty much every game so far.

But as long as you enjoy watching his 'running off the ball' then I guess that justifies his starting place.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Cenobite wrote:Surely the main role of a striker is to score goals?

Gray can't hold the ball up, can't win a header and is pretty poor at passing. I'd love to see the fella find his feet but I really struggle to see how. Every commentator has been critical of his poor movement and positioning in pretty much every game so far.

But as long as you enjoy watching his 'running off the ball' then I guess that justifies his starting place.

The role of a striker is to score goals, of course. With Silva's high tempo, high pressing tactics it's also his job to pull defenders out of position, and close down holding midfielders when we've lost the ball. Gray excels at this, hence the reason Silva picks him week in week out.

He's done a relatively thankless task, and others have reaped the rewards of his hard work. Had we provided him numerous 1 on 1's that he'd spurned, or tap ins that he'd missed then I would agree with you, but he hasn't.

So yes I will enjoy him running off the ball while we sit 4th. Unless you feel he's played no part in us getting there?
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Cenobite » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 pm

I think we are largely 4th despite him.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:09 am

Cenobite wrote:I think we are largely 4th despite him.

Nonsense
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby dorsetway » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:47 pm

All that really matters is Silva's views and how players fit into his style of player ? Clearly he sees Gray as a player he can mold into his style and as I see it, Silva wants us to attack as a "front four" rather than our age old method of banging balls in to a central striker like Okaka.
Also having three central strikers all expecting to play most weeks is probably too many, so Deeney and Gray are his main two central strikers, with Sinclair for back up, and even Richarlison can play striker so we do have options.
My biggest concern with the strikers is that Okaka seems to want out, and I can see Troy being tempted to move on in January if he can't nail down a place more regularly, so there could be trouble ahead ?
I guess Silva knows where things are heading and will be looking to secure a couple more signings in January ??
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby Cenobite » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Of course Okaka wants out. The way he's been treated has guaranteed that.

I've no issue with not wanting a player as long as you bring in someone who can do the job in the style you want to play. On current form, I wonder how many premier league teams would pick Gray?

Hopefully they will let Okaka move in in Jan and bring in someone else.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby WFC4ever » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Gray did well at Swansea I understand where he wasn't a lone striker against tough defenders (despite what Troy might say about Arsenal) but in most of the other games he has been.

Mainly at home of course which I doubt hardly helps.

His first touch does seem to be an issue and we don't really play the ball through the middle behind the defence - more out wide to Richarlison and whoever else is out there.

Okaka would give a different option if nothing else - maybe not to complete a full 90 minutes.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby pog88 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Cenobite wrote:Of course Okaka wants out. The way he's been treated has guaranteed that.

I've no issue with not wanting a player as long as you bring in someone who can do the job in the style you want to play. On current form, I wonder how many premier league teams would pick Gray?

Hopefully they will let Okaka move in in Jan and bring in someone else.

Gray does do the job in the style we want to play. Hence why Silva keeps on picking him

As for replacing Okaka, I don't see the point. Richarlison is bound to end up as a striker anyway, and the Venezuelan lad looks likely to arrive next summer.
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Cenobite » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:21 pm

We'll do very well to hold on to Richarlison after the summer. The kid is the real deal.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Cenobite wrote:We'll do very well to hold on to Richarlison after the summer. The kid is the real deal.

Unfortunately you look at Southampton and you see the perils of doing well as a medium sized club. I would like to think he'd be in no rush to leave, but I would imagine any of the top sides, home and abroad, would happily buy him off us right now. Could see him replacing Sanchez at Arsenal.

In the current climate he's worth £50m at least
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Seems like Silva just doesn't think Okaka fits into the style he wants to play..

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/w ... story.html
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Cenobite » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm

If the style of play he's after is not to manage a single shot on target then he's probably right.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:33 pm

Silva was more than happy for him to go to Wolves, but that fell through and he ended up stuck with him. I don't think Deeney fits into his style either, but given his high salary I reckon he was pretty much forced to make use of him.

I'd play Richarlison there until we can get somebody sorted in January
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Cenobite » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:36 pm

pog88 wrote:Silva was more than happy for him to go to Wolves, but that fell through and he ended up stuck with him. I don't think Deeney fits into his style either, but given his high salary I reckon he was pretty much forced to make use of him.

Really? So who would you play out wide? And have you noticed how many times the fella has missed the target recently? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan but I don't think shoving him down the middle is making the best of his abilities.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Postby pog88 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Cenobite wrote:
pog88 wrote:Silva was more than happy for him to go to Wolves, but that fell through and he ended up stuck with him. I don't think Deeney fits into his style either, but given his high salary I reckon he was pretty much forced to make use of him.

Really? So who would you play out wide? And have you noticed how many times the fella has missed the target recently? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan but I don't think shoving him down the middle is making the best of his abilities.

Pereyra? Janmaat?

I think his future is as a striker. He's quick, excellent in the air, and he's not afraid to shoot. I also think given he's now a marked man, Silva has to use him in a different way anyway. Stoke certainly had a plan to stifle his game
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby Scoobykelbeardoo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Okaka ahead of deeney all day we need to move forward and why we signed gray who knows
Scoobykelbeardoo
Gloryhorns Trialist

Postby PizzaNBeer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Scoobykelbeardoo wrote:Okaka ahead of deeney all day we need to move forward and why we signed gray who knows

Stefano! Good to see you back on the board!
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Scoobykelbeardoo wrote:Okaka ahead of deeney all day we need to move forward and why we signed gray who knows

More chance of Luther making a return I think...
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Cenobite » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:39 am

So Silva says that Okaka knows why he isn't playing and its because of his own actions but isn't going to confirm what actually happened. He also strongly hinted at selling him in January. More poor man management as everyone is now going to speculate as to what happened and rumours will do the rounds.

It strikes me as odd that there appears to be no second chance for Okaka while the club decided everyone deserves a 2nd chance after Troy was convicted of assault. Also, Silva has said that Troy needs to set a better example after gouging someones face on the pitch. So he gets a 3rd chance it seems.

Even Britos is back in the team after yet another crazy sending off that let his team down.

Rather convenient double standards I'd say.
Cenobite
Forum Grinch

Next

Return to Watford FC