Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Arse

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Arse

Postby BeersThen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm

On a post-Milan high or knackered?

Think we might lose a squeaker, 2-1.
Lawro says...... 3-0.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Arse

Postby pog88 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm

The key is a decent start. If we go a goal up the atmosphere will kill them.

Nice for them beating Milan, but ultimately they haven't got a hope in hell of beating Atletico so their season is over already

1-3 Deeney, Doucoure & Pereyra
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:20 pm

I can see us going there and being quite defensive tbh.

See if that works !
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby PizzaNBeer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:56 pm

WFC4ever wrote:I can see us going there and being quite defensive tbh.

See if that works !

Pack the middle.. the "Italian Christmas tree". Arsenal hates making their wingers run the touchline and hit negative balls. Make them play through a forest, win the ball, lump it up to Deeney/Okaka have them lay it off. It won't be pretty, but it would work.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby pog88 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Decent first half. They should be out of sight, but they aren't.

Need an early goal 2nd half
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby BeersThen » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:42 pm

All a bit m'eh.
Doucoure's worse game, maybe nervous in front of his new boss.
Deeney's miss was just so predictable. Tiny cajones.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Oh well.

Thought we did ok actually but so predictable Deeney would miss!!

Arsenal quality told but we certainty played our part in an open game.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby madhorn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 am

Arsenal were the better team , but it was not a bad performance from us.
Deeney not scoring from the spot added more spice to the cajones nonsense.
Let us see if we can get something at Anfield next week.
madhorn
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby pog88 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:24 am

Crap finishing kept us from ever being a threat. Pereyra's miss was absolutely shocking.

In fairness Arsenal should have been out of sight by half time though. Nice for them to have a distraction from their plunge into mediocrity by getting one over us and Deeney though
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:33 pm

pog88 wrote:Crap finishing kept us from ever being a threat. Pereyra's miss was absolutely shocking.

In fairness Arsenal should have been out of sight by half time though. Nice for them to have a distraction from their plunge into mediocrity by getting one over us and Deeney though

Richarlison could have easily bagged at least one as well. We had our chances. Arsenal was better, but we could have had more. That said, it was an exciting match and the team played well after the first goal.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I think that game really summed up where we as a team are right now ?
a) We had some bright spells especially the 20 minutes after half time, but lacked the skill to properly open up their defence. b) We had quite a bit of possession and looked decent but couldn't find the right final pass. c) We just cannot DEFEND against fast attackers with fast-paced passing. d) We still don't have a proper leader CB who can attack the balls into our box.

We should have been 4-1 down at half time yesterday, and I think that Liverpool will do the same next game (as they did last season) - we just look like rabbits in the headlights when he top 6 teams start pinging the ball all around our box. Priority this Summer MUST be defenders, 2 pacey CBs required and tbh our FBs can't actually DEFEND so that doesn't help our CBs one iota !
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:50 pm

Oh and something else I noticed yesterday .... when we are hard on the attack it mainly comes from some sort of counter attack play, and we only ever have 3 or 4 forwards in and around the oppo box. Several times in the first half Arsenal had 8 players in and around our box, pinging the ball about. We never ever do that (I guess because of our defensive frailties ?)
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:13 pm

dorsetway wrote:Oh and something else I noticed yesterday .... when we are hard on the attack it mainly comes from some sort of counter attack play, and we only ever have 3 or 4 forwards in and around the oppo box. Several times in the first half Arsenal had 8 players in and around our box, pinging the ball about. We never ever do that (I guess because of our defensive frailties ?)

Probably related. Mariappa and Prodl are try-hard players, but as you noted not terribly swift and need help. They also don't distribute terribly well, so the midfield needs to be close for link-up play. If you look at the missing players we have down the spine (Kabasele, Kaboul, Chalobah, Cleverley, Britos, etc.) it's not surprising that we're a bit tentative. That said, I though that Kiko/Janmaat were menacing together and Pereyra played more aggressively than he had been. This accounted for a lot of the increase in attacking that we did have.

One big upgrade at CB and a healthy Kabasele would go a long way. Of course left back is a must have.

At a more basic level, we have several players who are perpetually broken: Kaboul, Janmaat, Britos, Pereyra. We can't afford that. 3 of them need to go, and I don't care which three. You can't help the club win on crutches.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Our FBs are a bit of an enigma ! Holebas is "decent" but has his moments, Janmaat can't really defend and Femenia is class as long as he isn't stuck with a rampaging LW pushing him deep all game ?

With the dearth of decent fullbacks available these days I wonder if Gracia might end up opting for 3 at the back ? Trouble is we don't currently seem to have 3 CBs able to play that shape !?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Return to Watford FC