Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Gracia to go?

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Gracia to go?

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Will the Pozzos be giving out more P45s this summer and on the look out for another random overseas manager?

I actually think at home we have not played too badly but clearly in the last 2 games our defence has let us down with lapses in concentration.

The corcern must be our away form - no goals and hardly any points with generally the tactics basically being sit back and hope to hold on - at Arsenal that didn;t last long so we actually attacked.

Can we put it all down to Gracia though?

We have had more injuries to important players and a lack of goal threat whilst those in form at the start of the season have not produce their best.

The defence remains disoriganised no matter who seems to play!

Does he make tactical errors though and subs that don't change the game....?
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Gracia to go?

Postby dorsetway » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm

I think I was writing my last "rant" as you posted this .... similar thoughts .... Gracia is a nice bloke but a terrible motivator, and like Flores he thinks the Spanish game will work in the Prem ....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Pieman » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 pm

The problem wasn't the defence at Huddersfield. This looked much improved even with Mariappa played out of position. The midfield was overwhelmed by Huddersfield's pressing game which meant they resorted to playing long balls to Deeney who had no support making it irrelevant whether he won the header or not. We need to be less conservative and more aggressive of we are going to progress.
Pieman
Gloryhorns Newbie

Postby BeersThen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:08 pm

P11, W3 D2 L6
9 goals for, 18 against, 11 pts from possible 30. No goals away from home in 6 games.
Failed to beat mighty Stoke, Huddersfield, West Ham. Squeaked past Pardew's WBA 1-0

Can't see him staying personally.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:11 pm

BeersThen wrote:P11, W3 D2 L6
9 goals for, 18 against, 11 pts from possible 30. No goals away from home in 6 games.
Failed to beat mighty Stoke, Huddersfield, West Ham. Squeaked past Pardew's WBA 1-0

Can't see him staying personally.

He says he is not feeling any pressure, but that is madness. Lose the last 4 games and he will follow in Mazzari's footsteps. The bottom teams have started picking up points so there is zero excuse for us to go on a 7 match losing streak, none at all. We have recently blown 2 good chances of points, we have 2 certain defeats coming soon, so Gracia has 2 games to show that his team can get some more points. I just can't see it myself ? I want Gracia and the players to shut up talking about future intentions of winning, and just get on with delivering something ... less cheap talk and more action needed !
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Well he will get a nice pay off and go back to sunny Spain so the bloke probably isn't that bothered either way and everyone in the media will feel sorry for him and hammer the Pozzos.

Suspect some of the players feel like that too!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby 1974 golden boy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:36 pm

F*** him!
1974 golden boy
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 pm

Does Mr Wenger fancy a little challenge?

Would be used to having lots of injuries and a rubbish defence !
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby WFC4ever » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Dr.H_Shipman » Sat May 12, 2018 4:37 pm

1974 golden boy wrote:F*** him!

Yeah and of course, you've got an imaginary mole who never gets it wrong, so I expect you're quids in again, whatever happens eh?
Dr.H_Shipman
Gloryhorns Trialist

Postby BeersThen » Sat May 12, 2018 5:58 pm

WFC4ever wrote:Can we read much into this ?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... his-future

Wasn't Wally also planning for his next season?
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat May 12, 2018 6:57 pm

BeersThen wrote:
WFC4ever wrote:Can we read much into this ?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... his-future

Wasn't Wally also planning for his next season?

Maybe - planning to learn English?
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby BeersThen » Sun May 13, 2018 8:32 pm

BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby madhorn » Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 am

JG probably works very hard, he seems a fair honest man but does he lack the leadership and tactical qualities needed? None of us see him at London Colney so we can only judge by what we see on match day. The team failings have been well documented.We have had spells in many games where we have looked good, only to fall apart later in the game.
I am sure if we had a better squad he would have got better results and I am of the opinion that we have lacked a real leader on the pitch all season. There probably lies the truth, the squad is not good enough. Would a different coach have got more out of them?
So if we dump him. who else is available who would come to us?
madhorn
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby WFC4ever » Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 am

Whilst to not even score a goal on the road is disappointing and shows our lack of threat in attack potentially we have had quite a tough run of away games where under most managers we might not pick any points without a bit of luck.

The Huddersfield performance was a real disappointment I guess in that we were never negative whereas at Arsenal and Spurs we at least had a go.

As you say the home games when we have played well in patches have been littered by lapses in concentration maybe from both the management and players in terms of tactics and changes.

I do think Gracia like being here and seems to have the support of the players but the Pozzos are ruthless people.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Mon May 14, 2018 10:57 am

I am sure GP will have a pretty good idea of the players' feelings on Gracia ? He usually sounds Deeney out, and so whilst the players have all been making positive noises for the last few months, we don't really know what the squad think of JG or his tactics ? I would be surprised if they love his "run hard / just keep it tight" strategy.
The key issue under JG is that we are set up to contain the opposition EVERY game, and I would be OK with that if the players were encouraged to go for it once we are in the lead, but no, JG likes to think he should simply "protect a lead".
People slag off our strikers, but it's not all their fault. Our front lone striker is usually in acres of space marked by 2 or 3 defenders, then when the rest finally get forward there is zero space to work in. Also we play in a negative style which means our front 4 have to concentrate more on tracking back and pressing the oppo, than looking for space and openings for attack. Once a chance to counter comes along in the second half, you can bet that we will only ever have maximum 3 players anywhere near their box, so we are always outnumbered. Even Bmth will get 5 players forward quickly on the break, and therein lies our problem, we don't get enough players forward quickly on the break and then when the break slows down we have 9 oppo players sat around their box. Clearly confidence has played a major part in this but I believe that too many of this current squad just don't have the "legs" for the Prem ? Some players are a bit lazy and like to play at a canter, and to me this is the main difference between decent and average players at this level (ignoring the skills issue).
Final moan to GP is that we have a very messed up level of player "types" compared with most teams. We have midfielders who are converted wingers, Wide players that are better in central positions, LBs that prefer to play WB and are not really able to defend the flanks, Lone strikers that are far too slow to play like that .... I just wish GP would sometimes bring in a player to fill a SPECIFIC position, not hope to shoehorn them into the team ......
So my message to GP is please bring in players to fit specific positions / roles as required by the coach, and please get in a few more players that can run for 90 minutes !!
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

P.S. - Wow, I didn't realise that this summer's transfer window opens on Thursday 17th May for Prem clubs ??!!! Let's hope players like Doucoure and Richarlison jump ship quickly if they are determined to leave .... give us more time to find replacements...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon May 14, 2018 3:11 pm

To me it's about getting younger and faster at the back - plus adding some competition in various places. It seems to me that the team has broken down and gotten tired every year ion the second half. Youth and competition can help with all of that. Fix the back, so we aren't defending with 6-7 all the time and see what happens.

I expect Doucoure to go, but probably no on else that we'd miss. If we use that money to get a few in at the back, perhaps one midfield and another striker? Who knows. I fancy us to keep Richarlison and Delofeu. Success, Penaranda and perhaps even the young Colombian and Irishman will hopefully be able to join camp (work permits may be an issue). Gracia having that group and a summer to work with them could be very beneficial not only to team chemistry, but also to sorting out which ones are willing to fight for a place - or need to be sent packing permanently.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby WFC4ever » Mon May 14, 2018 3:22 pm

dorsetway wrote:P.S. - Wow, I didn't realise that this summer's transfer window opens on Thursday 17th May for Prem clubs ??!!! Let's hope players like Doucoure and Richarlison jump ship quickly if they are determined to leave .... give us more time to find replacements...

And it closes earlier too.. as voted for by most clubs except us!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby sdc_watford » Tue May 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Clear we need to sort out the defence. Probably need a new prime keeper.

Can see us losing Doucoure, possibly Richarlison if offers are good enough. Surprisingly can see Gray going. 1 new star in Midfield and a proven striker (Rondon perhaps).

In terms of Gracia can see him going. For the fantasists out there, Unai Emry is available, but then so is Holloway !!!!!
A man came up to me and said he supported L***n, so I kicked him in the Nads !!!!!
sdc_watford
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Everton are after this Marco Silva chap. He'd be good.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm

sdc_watford wrote:Clear we need to sort out the defence. Probably need a new prime keeper.

Can see us losing Doucoure, possibly Richarlison if offers are good enough. Surprisingly can see Gray going. 1 new star in Midfield and a proven striker (Rondon perhaps).

In terms of Gracia can see him going. For the fantasists out there, Unai Emry is available, but then so is Holloway !!!!!

I wonder if the Real Sociedad interest might be enough for Gracia to leave in the end ? If GP tells Gracia that "he has some reservations about his ability in the Prem but feels he has to give him a chance", and Gracia is then contacted by RS, then he might go ?

There are so many conundrums this summer ... Douc and Riccie : gone or maybe staying on ? Defence overhaul or just a LB and a young CB ? Gray, SInclair and Okaka leaving or maybe just Okaka and we bring in one striker ? I have zero idea what GP intends .. ?

On acquisitions I have a few ideas :-
I agree on Rondon - would suit us well.
If not I would have a punt on Benteke... OK so not been great so far but he is a real handful and at the right club I think he could click ? (only if he's on the cheap though !)
Joe Allen to bolster our midfield if Douc leaves ?
Alfie Mawson to strengthen our CB options.
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby madhorn » Wed May 16, 2018 10:09 pm

Stick with Gracia , back him 100% and let him sort out the players. Some of them are not good enough and need moving on. We need an on field leader , centre half or defensive midfielder, as a minimum. A striker as captain has not worked.
madhorn
Gloryhorns Reserve

Postby dorsetway » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

madhorn wrote:Stick with Gracia , back him 100% and let him sort out the players. Some of them are not good enough and need moving on. We need an on field leader , centre half or defensive midfielder, as a minimum. A striker as captain has not worked.

Yep, Deeney has been a big part of our squad problems this year. He's OK on his day but he's a bit "vintage" like an old fashioned target-man CF who needs a good nbr 10 to play off him. Prem football has moved on in recent years and it's now about speed and quick passing, hence our strike force is not up to standard. Gray started poorly but in the end he couldn't be played enough due to the captains presence.. ?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Thu May 17, 2018 10:39 am

On Gracia.... I reckon that if GP was on-the-fence about retaining him, the deciding factor might have been the ongoing Everton/Silva fracas ? With the current position, if GP sacks Gracia now, then his whole case against Everton becomes weakened, and the opinion might be that WFC deserve what they get when a manager jumps ship, even mid-season. Retaining Gracia this summer preserves our position as the harmed party vs Everton ...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Next

Return to Watford FC