Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

There's nothing new here

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

There's nothing new here

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:27 pm

All our problems begin at the back. Because our defenders are slow and generally poor technically (except Kiko when he's actually playing defence and perhaps Holebas - who unfortunately is mental) our managers eventually gravitate to a shape and lineup that places a legion behind the ball. The legion is generally slow at playing the ball forward and can't be counted on get forward effectively in attack - at least without exposing us to a counter (Doucoure being the exception). This is combined with a Centre-forward who lacks pace.

We need to re-tool the back line. At least one center forward who can play the ball on the ground quickly and accurately. A new left back as well - plus one other (either centre-back or fullback/winger depending upon the preferred formation. It would help a great deal if we could also add a ball-winning defensive midfielder. This would free the likes of Doucoure (if he's still here) and Chalobah to be the box-to-box types they should be. That leaves the Pereyras, Hugheses and Cleverleys of the squad to work with the forwards to create chances.

Of course, an upgrade at Centre-forward goes without saying.

But as it stands, we have an old-slow side that is leaky defensively. We've seen this movie the last two years. The older players break down and/or get slower as the season wears on as well.

I'm sure there are better managers than Gracia, or Silva, or name-your-favorite... but the problem here is the players. We need to get younger and more technical - quickly.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk
 

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 pm

We have been told to expect a "quiet summer" - well if we do stay up I feel we need at least 3 defenders and 2 strikers and that is only if Doucouré and a re-freshed Richarlison stay.

Can we keep relying on a fast start before giving up it seems come March and hoping there are 3 worse sides....

In a way Brighton and Huddersfield staying up might be better than Stoke or Southampton who actually have better squads but for whatever reason not performed at all - but then again we have taken 1 point out of 12 against those sides!

Of course the main issue will be making sure we have a medical team that can keep our key players fit or at leasr not out for so long - I accept an inury like Chalobah was unlucky but even so he has been "near fitness" for some time.

He and Cleverly would have made a different I think - they might have at least brought some organisation.

So would Kaboul I suspect if he was ever fit.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster
 
Posts: 18815
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:51 am
Location: Harpenden.

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm

WFC4ever wrote:We have been told to expect a "quiet summer" - well if we do stay up I feel we need at least 3 defenders and 2 strikers and that is only if Doucouré and a re-freshed Richarlison stay.

Can we keep relying on a fast start before giving up it seems come March and hoping there are 3 worse sides....

In a way Brighton and Huddersfield staying up might be better than Stoke or Southampton who actually have better squads but for whatever reason not performed at all - but then again we have taken 1 point out of 12 against those sides!

Of course the main issue will be making sure we have a medical team that can keep our key players fit or at leasr not out for so long - I accept an inury like Chalobah was unlucky but even so he has been "near fitness" for some time.

He and Cleverly would have made a different I think - they might have at least brought some organisation.

So would Kaboul I suspect if he was ever fit.


Agree, although 1 striker might be enough.

Kaboul is never fit. Britos, Holebas and Prodl all slow noticeably over the course of a season, if they don't break altogether. Improvements in the medical team have hopefully been made and will continue, but you can't fix old. Happens to everyone eventually.

"It's not the years, it's the mileage" - Indiana Jones

At CB, if they are content to be squad players I keep Cathcart and Mariappa as they are solid and HG.Then one of either Prodl or Kaboul - whichever you think will be healthier, and Kabasele. Bring in at 2 new. AT FB the only "must keep" is Kiko. Would like to see one new on each side - but LB is a must have.

Hopefully "Quiet summer" means good players at boring positions, not "nobody".
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Yes quality over quantity - what about all these young players we have on loan?

Guess Amrabat and Success will leave.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster
 
Posts: 18815
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:51 am
Location: Harpenden.

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby dorsetway » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I am hoping that "quiet summer" just means "not as many as the usual 8 players per summer" but it got to be at least 4 tbh . ! ??
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 am
Location: Poole

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby BeersThen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Success has to be the new Ellington?!
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:55 am
Location: hampshiiire

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:09 pm

Palarse played Zaha as a centre-forward this past weekend. Not sure which frightens me more, him running the flanks or down the middle at our centre-halves.

If he plays centrally, Doucoure might have to play as a full time defensive midfielder - unless we get really crazy and decide to roll out Ndong. I guess the other option is to have Prodl clatter into him at full pelt, knocking him into the 7th row - and take our chances with 10 men.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby pog88 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 am

PizzaNBeer wrote:Palarse played Zaha as a centre-forward this past weekend. Not sure which frightens me more, him running the flanks or down the middle at our centre-halves.

If he plays centrally, Doucoure might have to play as a full time defensive midfielder - unless we get really crazy and decide to roll out Ndong. I guess the other option is to have Prodl clatter into him at full pelt, knocking him into the 7th row - and take our chances with 10 men.


I'm already dreading it. We must have faced him about 10 times in the last 6 years, and every time he's absolutely fisted us
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 8:22 am

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby dorsetway » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:06 pm

This one seems a likely draw but then it's 50/50 that Zaha draws a dodgy penalty in the 89th minute !
Palace are dross at the back (a bit like us) and we should have a right go, but if we sit back they will punish us with their speedy attackers (and a rejuvenated Zaha)....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 am
Location: Poole

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby PizzaNBeer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:37 pm

Like to see us throw caution to the winds.

------- Some bloke with gloves

Janmaat --- Cathcart ---- Kabasele --- Holebas

Kiko ---- Hughes ----- Doucoure ----

Pereyra ---- Deeney ----- Richarlison

Have Gray, Carillo and Capoue ready to come in at the first sign of leg-weariness.

Get some bloody balls into the box and shots on frame.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby Bert Slaters Cap » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Re balls in the box. I don’t understand why the ‘crossers’ don’t practice anymore in the warm up. Home and away it would surely help them to get their aim and distance in helping the keepers warm up with crosses like they used to. So many (most?) crosses are so shite and either fail to clear the first man or clear the whole box. If golfers practice on a driving range why don’t those who are supposed to cross practice just before the main event?
User avatar
Bert Slaters Cap
Moderator
 
Posts: 810
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 am
Location: Banbury

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby pog88 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 am

PizzaNBeer wrote:Like to see us throw caution to the winds.

------- Some bloke with gloves

Janmaat --- Cathcart ---- Kabasele --- Holebas

Kiko ---- Hughes ----- Doucoure ----

Pereyra ---- Deeney ----- Richarlison

Have Gray, Carillo and Capoue ready to come in at the first sign of leg-weariness.

Get some bloody balls into the box and shots on frame.


Isn't that pretty much exactly how we like up anyway? Rich will never have another good game for us
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 8:22 am

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby WFC4ever » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 am

Somebody with a bit of pace at the back to deal with Zaha and Townsend.

Also they are quite tall in defence again so somebody needs to make sure Deeney is able to move this time.
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster
 
Posts: 18815
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:51 am
Location: Harpenden.

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby PizzaNBeer » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:03 pm

WFC4ever wrote:Somebody with a bit of pace at the back to deal with Zaha and Townsend.

Also they are quite tall in defence again so somebody needs to make sure Deeney is able to move this time.


We haven't got much pace at the back, that's why I suggested the lineup I did. With their size you can either go 2 up front (unlikely) or have Deeney lay the ball off to players that can move.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby pog88 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm

PizzaNBeer wrote:
WFC4ever wrote:Somebody with a bit of pace at the back to deal with Zaha and Townsend.

Also they are quite tall in defence again so somebody needs to make sure Deeney is able to move this time.


We haven't got much pace at the back, that's why I suggested the lineup I did. With their size you can either go 2 up front (unlikely) or have Deeney lay the ball off to players that can move.


Don't think it makes any difference how we line up. Zaha could take his pick of who to isolate at the back as all of them will crumble against him

I would like to at least see two up top to try and give them something to think about. If Javi picks Deeney up top on his own again he doesn't deserve to keep his job
pog88
Gloryhorns 1st Teamer
 
Posts: 6460
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 8:22 am

Re: There's nothing new here

Postby dorsetway » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Bert Slaters Cap wrote:Re balls in the box. I don’t understand why the ‘crossers’ don’t practice anymore in the warm up. Home and away it would surely help them to get their aim and distance in helping the keepers warm up with crosses like they used to. So many (most?) crosses are so shite and either fail to clear the first man or clear the whole box. If golfers practice on a driving range why don’t those who are supposed to cross practice just before the main event?


Good point but thinking about it - we really don't have anybody (apart from Femenia) that you can classify as a winger / "crosser" ? Our only proper wide players are the FBs and Holebas and Janmaat are pretty poor at crossing the ball. Players like Pereyra and Hughes are good "Passers" but not sure that underlines any real ability to put a decent cross over ? Also with Gracia seemingly preferring to play very "narrow" I am not sure we will get many decent opportunities for winger-type crosses ? All down to Femenia then ... ? (Can we borrow Zaha and Townsend for the day ... that would be interesting !!! ) 8)
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Reserve
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 am
Location: Poole


Return to Watford FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

cron