Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Waste of time

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Waste of time

Postby Scoobykelbeardoo » Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 pm

As above says it all
Scoobykelbeardoo
Gloryhorns Academy

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Waste of time

Postby WFC4ever » Sat May 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Oh dear - credit to the fans of course who were excellent but that turned out to be a nightmare!

Things MIGHT have been different had Pereyra scored early on or Doucouré been not been booked which tempered his game.

We seemed to give them too much time and space plus some of the goals were from us giving the ball away cheaply.

Felt we maybe gave up a bit after the 3rd and 4th goal too..

Not ideal against a team in such form!

Deeney and the scouting guy were having a good chat after the game - maybe Troy was saying this proves we need to spend money on defenders.

Great cup run and atmosphere but naturally a bit flat after the results.

2 unwanted records now....
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 pm

They played their A game today and were a different class. This game really confirmed the truth about us as a team.... Our midfield have to work really hard but are top 7 material. Our attack is top 10 and links fairly well with our midfield. On the other hand our defence is bottom 5 and that's what kills our consistency, and shows that 11th this season was excellent and fighting above our weight.
What depresses me now is the thought that this squad with 3 of our best players potentially leaving, will struggle next season, even with a few new additions, it will be backwards I think...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Sun May 19, 2019 9:13 am

M'eh - so predictable. Bright start, miss huge chance, 2-0 in half an hour, cue hammering. Have to confess I walked out at 5-0, had enough of the 'cup final experience' (massive thanks to the watford fans fighting amongst themselves at 3-0).

Doucoure was woeful - yes booked but that doesn't stop having some sort of first touch and ability to pass to someone in yellow, can only think he got overawed. For all his gob, Deeney was nowhere and did nothing. GD tried a bit but ended in not much - but if he produced the goods all the time he wouldn't be playing for Watford. Be happy to wave Pereya bye-bye, he's looked totally uninterested since Xmas.

It is difficult to stop this leaving a bad taste in the mouth - but we ended up 11th and with a cup final appearance is such an achievement in this league and given where we were a few years ago.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Sun May 19, 2019 10:59 am

Having slagged off our defence above, in the cold light of day, I think we prob over rate our midfield? At times our midfield are sublime and really set our attackers up with opportunities, but a) players like Pereyra and Hughes are not really tough enough at this level to win 50/50balls, and b) I've lost count of the times this season where our midfield have given the ball away on an attack which immediately ends up in us conceding a goal on the counter...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Sun May 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Oh yeah, I have another concept re this season. For sure we were better this year and showed a bit more class and ability to open teams up, at least for the first half of the season. Once again we dropped away quite badly, but I have a theory..... Basically we have a "bottom 8 squad" but with decent management and coaching Gracia got them going this year. However the extra effort required by our players to play to that higher level, effectively wears them out over a full season, especially our midfield who worked hard all season. The cup semi took a lot out them physically and mentally, and I honestly think they were running on fumes for the last month. We still need some more grit and ability in defence and probably midfield (Joe Allen anybody?)
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun May 19, 2019 5:56 pm

Certainly the defence and strike force is bottom half quality and is found wanting against the top sides.

Midfield can be very good but yesterday didn't close down enough and were over run whilst the 2 out wide hardly did any defending to help the full backs who were being bombarded.
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Fiz » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 am

dorsetway wrote:The cup semi took a lot out them physically and mentally, and I honestly think they were running on fumes for the last month.

This is what I thought. With the cup run we’ve played more games than usual in the last few weeks of the season and they’ve been high pressure games as well. Getting into Europe would have done us no favours.

Let’s face it if you don’t count the past month we’ve had a lot the smile about all season, especially with the way we beat Wolves. If we’d been offered 11th in the league and FA Cup runners up at the start of season we’d have taken it.
Technocat - It's Gonna Be Alright (Spanish Guitar Mix)
Fiz
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Callys_Disco » Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Fiz wrote:
dorsetway wrote:The cup semi took a lot out them physically and mentally, and I honestly think they were running on fumes for the last month.

This is what I thought. With the cup run we’ve played more games than usual in the last few weeks of the season and they’ve been high pressure games as well. Getting into Europe would have done us no favours.

Let’s face it if you don’t count the past month we’ve had a lot the smile about all season, especially with the way we beat Wolves. If we’d been offered 11th in the league and FA Cup runners up at the start of season we’d have taken it.

I am not sure I would have taken 11th and 6-0 defeat in the Cup Final, however....
Callys_Disco
Star Poster

Postby WFC4ever » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Been quiet from Mr Deeney and co since !!

Club statement apart ..

Been told to keep quiet or just out of "shame"?
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby Fiz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:16 pm

Callys_Disco wrote:
I am not sure I would have taken 11th and 6-defeat in the Cup Final, however....

I'd rather that than 7th and a semi-final defeat. I'd rather lose 6-0 in the final than fook up a 2-0 lead in the semi.
Fiz
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby Fiz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I've avoided all highlights of the FA Cup final and then this pops up in the middle of CL final ffs
Warning - contains scenes some Watford fans may find distressing!
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/ ... ce/1586095
Fiz
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Return to Watford FC