Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Brighton

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Brighton

Postby WFC4ever » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Repeat of last season would be nice .

Pereyra and GD fit .

Sarr and Welbeck not ready
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Brighton

Postby BeersThen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:43 am

1-1
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:26 pm

I am a bit concerned that Gracia will stick to last years squad and play Maps rather than Dawson ? He does tend to play the "fair / Loyalty" card which I fully understand, but we need to win this first game , its very winnable, tough games to come, and we need to get points on the board. OK so Sarr will get introduced in a few weeks, and Welbeck probably in October, but defence has been a problem for us and we now have a proper CB so use him....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Listening on 3CR and it sounds like the same turgid Sh*t we were serving up in March, April and May
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby BeersThen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm

christ on a bike
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm

dorsetway wrote:I am a bit concerned that Gracia will stick to last years squad and play Maps rather than Dawson ? He does tend to play the "fair / Loyalty" card which I fully understand, but we need to win this first game , its very winnable, tough games to come, and we need to get points on the board. OK so Sarr will get introduced in a few weeks, and Welbeck probably in October, but defence has been a problem for us and we now have a proper CB so use him....

Maybe we should have done'!

Dawson had a shocker sadly .
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:17 pm

If I have one problem with Gracia it is his tenancy to be over loyal to average players and I think this leads to a level of over confidence amongst the players?
I was shocked when I saw that Deeney, gray and Deulefeu were all starting, but thought if they get going we might overrun their defence.!??
Anyway, I had no doubt today that Deulofeu would be sulking because he wants to lead the attack and not have to chase around, and Holebas would be miffed because we nearly replaced him with Danny Rose this week....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:31 pm

And some suggested Doucoure was in a huff about not being allowed to leave.

The 1st goal summed up the performance and game!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 pm

WFC4ever wrote:And some suggested Doucoure was in a huff about not being allowed to leave.

The 1st goal summed up the performance and game!

I think we've covered this before but we do have great moments in games and flowing moves, But we don't do the basics very well. Hence we sometimes play highly motivated sides who are well drilled and we just struggle.? Too many players just expect to go through the motions rather than put their body on the line...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:33 pm

Some of the play was good but often one touch too many or too slow .

Didn't help Deeney hardly won a header and Gray cannot control the ball ..
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:17 pm

In hindsight we basically had two proper midfielders out there with three wannabe centre forwards and a ten playmaker (Hughes) so poor choice by Gracia. Effectively our FBs have too much space to cover because GD and Hughes won't be about battling in midfield.. A mess...

For me Javi needs to stop shoehorning players into a system, and start using players in their best natural position. Trouble is we are stuck with certain players that supposedly have to play, and so others have to fit in. I hate to say it but Deeney, Deulofeu, Pereyra nd Hughes all fit into our positional problems.... GD should be good off the shoulder of TD but it doesn't work, who gets dropped.. Neither.! Hughes is not a wide winger midfielder but is decent at times o plays there. Pereyra is a very weak legged highly skilled player but he plays wide left. None of it works until we play an out of form team.
Gracia has to decide this week whether to play GD as a wandering 10 with TD or sell him this week, we dont need sulkers in this team, I truly believe this is most of our problem...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Deeney said it was the best he felt going into a season and never had been more excited ...

Opps !

Foster seemed to suggest the players were complacent too .
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby dorsetway » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Too many of them felt they had done so well last season that things will just carry on, and they have been caught out. Truth is we never were worth a top 7 finisher and everyone needs to stop talking of top 8 and Europe because we are just not solid enough.
And where Gracia will ever find a place for a true "winger" (Sarr) I will never know, esp with a lazy GD in the side....
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:18 pm

We had a side with an average age of almost 30 so no wonder we looked slow and sluggish!

Not sure that fits the Pozzo model of having a young side with potential!
Come On You Horns!

WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby BeersThen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:19 pm

dorsetway wrote:Too many of them felt they had done so well last season that things will just carry on, and they have been caught out.

Although the results at the tail end of last season was a 2-1 win at already relegated Huddersfield, a crappy last minute 1-1 with Saints, 1-2 Wolves, 0-3 Chelsea, 1-4 West Ham and that miserable day at Wembley.

Fosters claim that the players weren't mentally switched on is incredible. 16 games without a clean sheet as well...
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Good points, it makes you wonder if Gracia super Intensive, double session pre season trading is just too much for an aging team.? Some people have already mentioned this, are we leaving too much on the training pitch.
In the past I have bemoaned managers that fill our players heads with tactical theories, and I doubt our current current crop actually buy in to Javi's 4222 system.?
I have a horrible gut feeling that Gracia won't sort this...? Although it did cross my mind that his approach is to stick players out there for a few games to help him decide who might work out, and who he might get shot of very soon..?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Return to Watford FC