Watford FC Forum

Watford FC Forum/message board www.gloryhorns.co.uk/forum

Not a time for what if, but..

This forum is for all Watford FC related topics ONLY. Latest news, gossip, rumours, transfers, why three stands are better than four... its all in here now!!

You must be registered to view/post in this forum.

Moderators: Inayellowshirt, corbyhornet, Bert Slaters Cap, hollywood

Forum rules
Argue your point sensibly, differences in opinion are allowed as without them there wouldn't be much point in the forum. Abuse will be removed by the moderators and may result in a ban.
No trolling (using secondary accounts to cause friction).
Please use the <!> button to report any posts that offend or need a mod to look at.
Before posting a new thread, please check you are in the right section and see if another one already exists.
This part of the forum is for WFC related threads only, please keep on that topic and use General Chat for the usual tom foolery.
If you have a problem with a particular user, the forum admin team are always happy to receive constructive reasons via the PM system from regular members on why action is required.

Not a time for what if, but..

Postby dorsetway » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 am

For me the greatest fault in our player recruitment revolves around the way we look for lots of cheapish options and players with skill that have not made the grade elsewhere. So effectively I would prefer we bought in a good percentage of hard working type players with good fitness, esp in defence. We have too many slow fancy players and we either play too slowly, or at a 100 mph with poor control.
In the summer we half expected GD and Douc to leave us, and in hindsight we should have sold them. GD will never be happy with us and the 50mil we could have got for them would have enabled GP to bring in 3 or 4 decent Prem players, that might have refreshed us for this season.?
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

GloryHorns Advertisement

GloryHorns.co.uk

Re: Not a time for what if, but..

Postby WFC4ever » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:09 pm

Certainly are paying the price for a lack of investment in the defence.

We have so many midfielders and wide players sure we could have sacrificed one for good money to improve elsewhere as you say.

Gino is worried about Brexit and the impact on our squad - maybe explains why we have got in a load of British youngsters into the Under 23s?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/italy-pozzo-t ... ries-form/
Come On You Horns!

We are back...for how long?
WFC4ever
Star Poster

Postby PizzaNBeer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:23 pm

dorsetway wrote:For me the greatest fault in our player recruitment revolves around the way we look for lots of cheapish options and players with skill that have not made the grade elsewhere. So effectively I would prefer we bought in a good percentage of hard working type players with good fitness, esp in defence. We have too many slow fancy players and we either play too slowly, or at a 100 mph with poor control.
In the summer we half expected GD and Douc to leave us, and in hindsight we should have sold them. GD will never be happy with us and the 50mil we could have got for them would have enabled GP to bring in 3 or 4 decent Prem players, that might have refreshed us for this season.?

"We have too many slow fancy players" This is an oversimplification I think. I agree that we have a lot of slow players, but they're not the fancy/technical ones. I think that we're too slow at the back and have fullbacks who cannot or will not defend. Cheapish options are fine, although I think we've picked the wrong ones and are now caught with players who are too long in the tooth (Holebas, Janmaat, etc.) backed up by cheapish players that haven't worked out. If we don't see a fairly immediate coming togther, where they attack and defend as a team, then it's "desperate search for an identity that will save you time. With our squad I think that there are two ways that you can go if it reaches that point:

1) Put your fastest and most technical 11 out there and try and make as much as you can by outscoring teams - particularly those bottom feeders. This would mean getting as many as you can of Deulofeu, Sarr, Pereyra, Capoue, Welbeck, Doucoure, Chalobah, Femenia, Quina, etc. onto the pitch and go full-bore attack mode. This might work, it could also be Fulham from last year.
2) Become a defend and bunker team that hits on the counter. This means a couple or three pacy players up high (Deulofeu, Sarr etc.) and everyone else's first and second job becomes defend like a fiend. This probably means that the likes of Holebas, Femenia, don't play much and you see more of players like Cleverley in midfield as opposed to younger, faster more dynamic players. This would eb dreary to watch and could easily devolve into hoofball - but it's the patented "Allardyce relegation avoidance" tactic.

My hope is that with some continuity at the back (Cathcart + Dawson or Cathcart + somebody) and a come-to-Jesus discussion with the fullbacks (and arguable the mids) that we'll see some overall improvement. If the likes of Holebas, Femenia, Janmaat won't commit to defence first, sit them and run out Masina and Foulquier and play option 2. It's ugly, but we have the talent to win games in this league playing hoofball and defending set pieces.
PizzaNBeer
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Location: Lying on the floor reaching up to grasp my pint on the bar

Postby BeersThen » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:41 pm

I'm hoping the rest of the dross continue to sink downwards. Norwich are bottom four despite having beaten City, Brighton have problems, Newcastle should be around all season. Villa might be this years Fulham, although can see them going for Fat Sam in a few weeks. Enough rubbish down there to keep us company.
BeersThen
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Postby dorsetway » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:01 pm

Pizza, yes good points and you gave me another thought.... The team got used to playing free flowing football over the last year or so, and I reckon oppo managers sussed out that if they let us attack and defend well, they will suck our FBs into the attack. Then just play us on the counter when our defence are too high up the pitch. We often give the ball away cheaply on the attack, so there's an obvious tactic.
Basically we've losy the ability to move up and back as a team/unit....
Why modern FBs can't defend first, attack second, I do not know...
dorsetway
Gloryhorns Bench Warmer

Return to Watford FC